November 4, 2008

Cusco

This first week has been packed and I don't expect the next six months to be any different. I left home exactly one week ago and I've learned so much since then. I can't wait to see what will happen next.

I finally realized I was leaving when I was seated on the plane to Lima and didn't understand any of the conversations around me. Fortunately, the man seated beside me was a aviation mechanic who spoke English fluently. He was in the US to get his FAA license and he gave me advice on everything from how to barter with cab drivers to which seat on the plane is best (the very back).

I arrived in Lima at 4:00 am and it took me about an hour to get through customs. For some reason, I assumed that the customs officers would speak English, but this was not the case. I also learned that they do not appreciate "no comprendo" but I made it though with points and grunts.

I had to get from the airport to the bus station to catch a ride to Cusco. Long story short, I ended up getting mugged. This is unusual, but as a 6'4'' gringo hauling a duffel and a mandolin, I was quite an easy target. Anyway, it was just money and (shameless plug) Wachovia agreed to a full refund.

The bus ride from Lima -> Cusco took 22 hours but luckily I was seated next to a fellow gringo. When I discovered he was from France I briefly considered hiding my LIVESTRONG bracelet. The ride was not bad, I got to see the real Peru (the 40% in poverty) and 11,000 ft elevation gain up the Andes provided plenty of breathtaking views.

I arrived on Thursday just in time to help make Halloween costumes. On Friday, we took the kids reverse trick-or-treating. We paraded them around the historic Plaza de Armas and instructed them to give out candy to adults. Of course, they were rewarded with a party afterwards.

This weekend I explored the city and started learning Spanish. November 15 is Peru's national day of peace so we are teaching the kids this week about aspects of nonviolence. I'm teaching the oldest group of kids (11-13) about crimes related to drug and alcohol abuse. It's encouraging how they are so eager to lean.

Take care of yourselves in the States and please vote if you haven't already. Authority increases with apathy.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caleb! I'm sorry you got mugged! That sucks! But sounds like you are going to have a busy time in Peru!

So why did the kids give out candy instead of getting it?

And good luck with teaching! I know you will be great!

Courtney K. said...

It is so great to hear from you! It sounds like your trip is off to a rewarding start after meeting the kids there and just seeing a bit of everything. I look forward to hearing about more of your trip! We all miss you so much!

Anonymous said...

hey bud.

sounds like you have an interesting time ahead of you. ive been to peru- im a legend there.. people know me.

its so weird to think that everyone is leaving. i hope that your time away will compel you to join the military. haha

hope things continue to go well (or even get better). im glad you have a blog. take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey little buddy Polecat!
Daddy still remembers when you were a little baby and he would carry you around like a football; I'd hold your head in my right hand, have your left leg flopped on the outside of my arm and your right leg pinned against my body.
What a wonderful son you've always been. Daddy has much to be proud of (in a non-conceited, wholesome way).
I love you, dude.
Dad

Aunt Jamie said...

Mimi says hello and to tell you that she prayed for GOD to send an angel to watch over you and it looks like he already did. Say a prayer for her because she is having surgery on her knee again next Wednesday.

We love you, Aunt Jamie, Jake, Julie, Ron, Mimi, and Mr. Lee

The Armstrongs said...

Glad to see the update. We are all praying for you here in Birmingham. Look forward to continuing following your journey! Give the kids a hug from me.

Anonymous said...

ha it sucks that youv already been mugged man. what are your plans for after the orphanage? if there are any.. and your dads comment made me laugh. too many memories. seriously. your senses of humor are exactly the same. the horton heres peru pun couldv come straight from his mouth. i thought it did at first.

Grace S. Deer said...

So glad you are enjoying your time in Peru! Take lots of pictures! I look forward to following your journey!

Sending you good wishes and lots of love!! Take care of yourself!

grace

Anonymous said...

Glad you voted my fellow libertarian--loved the authority/apathy tag. Touche'.

Sorry to hear about the mugging. Hope the mandolin survived :)

We'll keep up with your journey with keen interest.

Blessings

Kathy (Lance, Will and Luke, too)

The Baughers said...

Hey Caleb-we look forward to keeping up with your journey...sounds like you're already learning a lot and having an unforgettable experience!

cbrentlane said...

Caleb,

Do you seriously own a LIVESTRONG bracelet, or was that a joke?

I think it was a joke.

Love,
Your BFF

cbrentlane said...

Another thought.

Please let me know how things are going in Mancora. Your mom said you got there safely, and that it's beautiful. It's been over a week since I've talked to you. I know that sounds petty, but I miss you man. Smuggle me a Mancoran monkey, or at least a pretty rock or something notable.

Con mucho amor,
C.Brent

PS: I'm really excited about ditching Latin for Spanish.